How to Remove Stickers from a Car
Stickers can wind up on cars for many reasons. Maybe you expressed yourself with bumper stickers that are now outdated or don’t reflect your views on the streets of Middletown. Or perhaps the kids decided to get artistic. Or maybe you’re cleaning up from a previous owner. The service department at Old Saybrook Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM gets asked all the time how to remove stickers from cars, so we’ve put together a guide to save you time and the paint on your car.
How to Get Stickers off a Car Body
You don’t have to invest in expensive cleaners to remove stickers from a car. Chances are you have all the things you need in your New London home. You’ll need:
- A bit of car washing soap
- Plastic card (library card, membership card, etc.)
- Tree sap remover or Goo Gone Automotive
- Clean, dry towels
These steps are how you remove stickers from a car:
- Clean the entire sticker area with car washing soap.
- Set the hair dryer on hot, and hold it about two to three inches away from the sticker. Working from the inside out, make sure to heat the entire area.
- While the sticker is still warm, use the plastic car to gently push under the sticker’s edge. When you see the adhesive residue lifting you should be able to slowly peel off the rest of the sticker. You might need to repeat the heat and peel process if the sticker comes off in pieces.
- Here’s how to remove sticker residue from your car once the sticker is gone: put some tree sap remover or Goo Gone Automotive on a clean towel and wipe with gentle pressure until the residue is gone.
How to Remove Stickers From a Car Window
This can be a little trickier than removing a sticker from a car body, because you’re working with glass. The heat and plastic card method won’t work—you’ll need to very carefully work with a razor blade unless you have tinted windows. Never use a razor blade on the inside of tinted windows. This technique is only for the outside of windows. You’ll need:
- Razor blade
- Dish soap mixed with hot water
- Clean, dry towels
- Rubbing alcohol
Here’s how to remove stickers from a car window:
- Peel up a bit of the sticker with the razor blade, and remove it as cleanly as possible by hand.
- Rub the sticker residue with a towel and the dish soap and hot water mixture until it dissipates. This might be all you need to do. If some stubborn residue remains, keep reading.
- Carefully scrape off the remaining residue with your razor blade.
- If residue still remains, alternate scrubbing with rubbing alcohol and scraping with the razor blade. When you’re finished soak a clean towel in water to wash away the rubbing alcohol.
Learn More Car Care Tips with Old Saybrook Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM
Madison drivers who need more help with how to remove stickers from a car can contact the Old Saybrook Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM service department. We know the ins and outs of detailing cars from how to get stickers off a car to cleaning floor mats. We’d love to help you keep your car sparkling clean!